This is episode 55 of Evil Sugar Radio. In this episode, we’re interviewing Mike Howard, author of “Talking Back to Diet Gurus: An Un-revolutionary and Un-sexy Guide to Fat Loss”. Mike also runs his personal training business at Core Concepts Wellness.
This interview has great information on logical fallacies, interpreting studies, dealing with diet industry propaganda, and determining who has good information.
As always, if you’re enjoying the show, please rate us in iTunes.
Episode 55 Overview
Here’s an overview of what we’ll be talking about in this episode:
- 1:15 – Who are you? What do you do?
- 2:30 – Why do you call your book “An Un-revolutionary and Un-sexy Guide to Fat Loss”?
- 4:45 – Do you talk about nutrition topics and/or symptoms of dieting in your book?
- 6:10 – Why do you suppose that people don’t listen to their bodies?
- 11:50 – What about people being influenced by celebrities? Is it human nature? Are celebrities putting one over on people?
- 13:20 – Gluten is a popular topic in the diet world. What do you think is going on with gluten?
- 15:55 – Who can eat gluten? How do people know if it’s okay to eat it?
- 20:30 – In your book, you teach people how to differentiate between a diet guru and an unbiased professional. How do people do that?
- 24:15 – Who in the health and fitness industry would you recommend people pay attention to?
- 25:15 – What does “scientific objectivity” mean? How do people know?
- 28:10 – How are religion and diet similar?
- 28:45 – What are some of the more common logical fallacies and how can we prevent them in ourselves?
- 33:30 – Should people become more interested in reading studies? What problems are there for people trying to learn to interpret studies?
- 37:40 – How do we deal with the “get results now” mentality of the health and fitness industry?
- 41:25 – Let’s talk about the basics. What do people need to know, in layman’s terms? What are the key factors? Is it just “eat less, move more”?
- 46:00 – What is the main lesson from your book?
- 47:20 – If you could reform or upgrade the fitness industry, what two improvements would you make?
- 50:20 – Where can people get your book?
Talking Back To Diet Gurus ( http://amzn.to/1qT8adH )