This is episode 72 of Evil Sugar Radio. In this episode, we interview Kira Martin. Kira is a fitness enthusiast and Type 1 Diabetes advocate. She has 2 children with Type 1 Diabetes, so we brought her on to discuss the myths and realities of the disease and its management.
As always, if you’re enjoying the show, please rate us in iTunes.
Episode 72 Overview
Here’s an overview of what we’ll be talking about in this episode:
- 1:40 – How is Type 1 Diabetes different than Type 2 Diabetes?
- 2:15 – How did you discover that your kids are diabetic?
- 3:40 – What are some common symptoms of Type 1 Diabetes?
- 5:05 – What are some types of treatment for Type 1 Diabetes?
- 5:30 – What is insulin and what does it do?
- 6:25 – What are the options for administering insulin?
- 7:30 – What’s the newest information regarding a deeper understanding of the issues and cure for Type 1 Diabetes? What about the stem cell research from early Oct?
- 9:15 – What about an actual cure for T1DM?
- 11:05 – What other dangers do you see with the chronic misinformation about treating Type 1 Diabetes?
- 12:45 – Is there a holistic approach to treatment of Type 1 Diabetes?
- 15:00 – Are there foods that can help with treatment or is it just insulin treatment?
- 16:00 – What other myths and misinformation are there with Type 1 Diabetes?
- 17:15 – What makes Type 1 Diabetes dangerous and what are some of the possible long term effects?
- 18:05 – Discuss mental health issues that can arise with a chronic disease such as Type 1 Diabetes.
- 20:05 – What are some other misconceptions about Type 1 Diabetes?
- 20:30 – What about sugar? How is it involved in Type 1 Diabetes? Can you use sugar to manage Type 1 Diabetes?
- 22:40 – What is Type 1.5 Diabetes (Latent Autoimmune Diabetes of Adults)?
- 23:45 – Are there autoimmune treatments to slow the destruction of pancreatic beta cells?
- 24:35 – Do you have any practical tips for parents and caretakers of kids with Type 1 Diabetes? How do you handle school and vacations?
- 26:00 – Have you had any struggles with the schools?
- 27:00 – What about foods that you keep with you?
- 27:30 – Should parents get special training or are there resources for parents?
- 28:45 – What’s your Facebook page about?
- 29:40 – What is the long-term prognosis for people with T1DM?
- 31:40 – How low can blood sugar go before it’s dangerous?
- 33:00 – Does the amount of insulin required change over time based on insulin sensitivity?
- 33:40 – What about your kids? What do they do for activity?
Get Pumped T1 on Facebook ( https://www.facebook.com/getpumpedt1 )
Diabetes breakthrough: Human stem cells altered to make insulin ( http://tinyurl.com/l9nosrm )
Diabetes Daily ( http://www.diabetesdaily.com/ )
American Diabetes Association ( http://www.diabetes.org/ )
Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation ( http://jdrf.org/ )
Dealing with Diabetes Burnout by Ginger Vieira ( http://amzn.to/13hvPe5 )