This is episode 80 of Evil Sugar Radio. In this episode, we interview Matthew Danziger of True Movement about the science of pain. Matthew is a massage therapist and trainer in New York City.
As always, if you’re enjoying the show, please rate us in iTunes.
Episode 80 Overview
Here’s an overview of what we’ll be talking about in this episode:
- 1:30 – What is the physiology of pain? Is it all in your head?
- 6:00 – What influences pain other than an injury?
- 9:40 – What do you think of the idea of mind over matter?
- 14:20 – Can you discuss the placebo and nocebo effects? How can we use this to our advantage?
- 19:10 – What’s the deal with text neck?
- 23:35 – Is this the same kind of fear as the idea of ideal postural positions, like the right degree of anterior-posterior tilt, etc?
- 27:50 – You wrote an article comparing the body to a car. Can you discuss why the body shouldn’t be compared to a car?
- 32:25 – What is the SAID (Specific Adaptation to Imposed Demand) principle?
- 34:05 – You used music as a metaphor for explaining pain. Can you talk about that?
- 40:00 – What about massage? What are some myths of the industry?
- 43:45 – What are adhesions and trigger points?
- 52:55 – What do you mean by “coaching in the positive”? Why do therapists and personal trainers need to choose their words carefully?
- 1:00:10 – What can the fitness or massage industry do to improve service to clients?
- 1:03:45 – Wrap-up