This is episode 84 of Evil Sugar Radio. In this episode, we interview Mike Hull of Nutrition As I Know It. Mike is a Nutritional Science and Kinesiology student at George Mason University. He also has a CISSN from the International Society of Sports Nutrition and a Level 1 Precision Nutrition certification.
As always, if you’re enjoying the show, please rate us in iTunes.
Episode 84 Overview
Here’s an overview of what we’ll be talking about in this episode:
- 1:10 – What made you interested in going in-depth in analyzing the Whole30 program?
- 2:20 – What is the biggest misconception of what they’re promoting?
- 4:30 – Do you see the same type of ideas and claims made throughout the industry?
- 5:10 – What do you think when health gurus make the claim that “you didn’t do it right” when a program doesn’t work for you?
- 10:00 – You mentioned claims about hormonal contraception and brain cancer. Can you discuss?
- 11:30 – What is the hierarchy of evidence? How do we know what is high-quality evidence?
- 14:50 – What about other dietary boogiemen like high-fructose corn syrup and MSG?
- 17:40 – So how do we explain when people experience positive or negative effects when eating or removing certain foods?
- 18:50 – What about low-carb and gestational diabetes?
- 21:10 – You wrote about sugar and sex drive. What’s that about?
- 26:00 – What about supplement regulation issues and scams in the supplement industry?
- 31:00 – What are your thoughts on self-experimentation (the “n=1 study”)?
- 33:15 – What are you up to next?
- 36:30 – How can the fitness industry better serve clients and provide better information?