This is episode 86 of Evil Sugar Radio. In this episode, we interview Brian Cuban of Brian Cuban.com. Brian is a mental health advocate who speaks regularly on eating disorders in men, addiction, and recovery. Brian is also the author of the book Shattered Image: My Triumph Over Body Dysmorphic Disorder
To book Brian for a speaking engagement, contact Paul Kreiter at American Program Bureau at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can email Brian directly at email@example.com.
As always, if you’re enjoying the show, please rate us in iTunes.
Episode 86 Overview
Here’s an overview of what we’ll be talking about in this episode:
- 1:00 – What do you do and what do you talk about in these engagements?
- 1:45 – Can you share some of your story? How did this begin and how did you transition to recovery?
- 6:25 – What is the correlation between alcohol/substance abuse and eating disorders?
- 8:10 – What was the main thing(s) that helped you start recovery?
- 10:00 – Is it fair to say that there’s nothing you can do to help until a person is ready to take steps on their own?
- 11:30 – What is your opinion on AA and other recovery programs in general?
- 14:10 – What’s the prevalence of ED in men, in general? What about in the sports community?
- 15:35 – Would you say that our culture is more enabling of eating disorders than others?
- 17:00 – Is there a difference in how men and women experience eating disorders?
- 18:30 – Is there a line from hardcore to orthorexic to eating disordered?
- 19:30 – When you do speaking engagements, who is your audience?
- 20:05 – How can family and friends help?
- 23:55 – How can fitness professionals help?
- 27:40 – In your recovery, did you find any particular diet or exercise ideas that helped or harmed you?
- 30:00 – Is full recovery possible?
- 30:35 – What’s your new book, Shattered Image, about?
- 32:15 – Can you talk about bullying? Are there particular signs to look for?
- 35:15 – What is self-harm beyond cutting?
- 37:30 – Can you talk about your article, Three Life Lessons I Learned In Eating Disorder And Addiction Recovery?
- 39:45 – What’s next for you?
- 40:50 – Where can people follow you and your work?
- 41:45 – Do you have any book suggestions for our listeners?