In episode 92, we interview Raj Patel, author of Stuffed & Starved and The Value of Nothing. Raj is a Research Professor in Public Affairs at the University of Texas in Austin and you can follow his work at Raj Patel.org
As always, if you’re enjoying the show, please rate us in iTunes.
Episode 92 Overview
Here’s an overview of what we’ll be talking about in this episode:
- 1:20 – What’s the focus of your work?
- 2:00 – What do you mean by how we can or should change the food system? Does that just mean buying organic at Whole Foods? Is that what “conscious capitalism” and “voting with your fork” mean?
- 5:00 – Can you talk about Stuffed & Starved?
- 6:00 – Where does the food system come from and how does modern day colonialism play a role?
- 11:00 – What is Fair Trade? What are the pros and cons? Are there other or better solutions and organizations?
- 17:45 – What role could reparations serve?
- 19:30 – How do trade agreements affect people globally? Who benefits and who suffers?
- 27:45 – The recent Coca-Cola commercial and marketing to children
- 37:00 – What are some simple actions people can take to not just feel better about their choices, but actually make better choices that affect the food system?
- 40:00 – What other projects are you working on?