This is episode 4 of Evil Sugar Radio. In this episode, we’re going to tell you about our experiences in the years we spent on the Paleo Diet, why and how we transitioned away from it, and the top 5 mistakes we see people making…because we made them too!
Episode 4 Overview
Early on, we allude to certain aspects of religions and their dietary laws growing out of practical considerations. If you’re interested in learning more about that, the book Cows, Pigs, Wars, & Witches: The Riddles of Culture by Marvin Harris is an excellent read.
Here’s an overview of what we’ll be talking about in this episode:
- 0:00 – Intro and Our Paleo Experiences
- What attracted us to Paleo?
- How did Paleo work for each of us?
- Why and how did we transition away from the Paleo Diet?
- The good things we learned
- 20:16- Top 5 Mistakes
- 20:54 – Mistake #1: Not Enough Carbs
- 28:32 – Mistake #2: Putting Gurus On A Pedestal
- 43:51 – Mistake #3: The Paleo Loophole
- 49:45 – Mistake #4: One Diet Fits All
- 52:55 – Mistake #5: Incorrect Information About Traditional & Cultural Diets
- 53:27 – Rants By Antonio
- 59:28 – Closing Up
“Remember that prolonged low-carb dieting (including ‘this one’) tends to shut down thyroid function. This is usually not a problem with the thyroid gland but with the liver, which fails to convert T4 into the more active thyroid principle, T3. The diagnosis is made on clinical grounds with the presence of fatigue, sluggishness, dry skin, coarse or falling hair, an elevation in cholesterol, or a low body temperature.” Dr. Robert Atkins
Read These Links With a Bowl of Ice Cream
Lane AR, et al. Influence of dietary carbohydrate intake on the free testosterone: cortisol ratio responses to short-term intensive exercise training. European Journal of Applied Physiology, 2010; 108: 1125–1131.
Are you now or have you been Paleo? What were your experiences? Tell us in the comments section below!